fondalo

fondalo
shakin' down companies to get the best deals

Friday, March 5, 2010

Quit Twitter DM Spamming me! I don’t even know you yet…

I have been very busy since my last article and therefore have been a bit slow on getting articles done.  The massive flow of followers and direct messages flowing from Twitter has aggravated me enough today to stop and rant a moment.
Let’s be clear.  Social media is about connections, conversation, adding value to one another with information and interactions.  I have a tech start up.  I am not in MLM or network marketing.  More importantly I am in no way interested in getting started, and have no time even if I were.
I will continue my rant by explaining I enjoy direct messages on Twitter from new followers.  When used appropriately, it is refreshing, informative and creates a connection to a new contributor to my world.  Having said this, direct messaging every single person that follows you back with a boiler plate message pitching your worthless auto-spam/auto-follow software that will clog my followers with useless people that aren’t truly interested in my space and won’t provide me anything valuable is just plain rude!
Now, don’t take my preceding run-on sentence as a jaded hack on all direct messaging, or templated auto-DM’s, however I do want you to THINK and take some advice.
1)       Use your Twitter DM’s to engage, not pitch.
2)       Thank followers for following and make a connection to them and what they tweet about.
3)       For God’s sake, quit spamming me!  J

Ok, I’m done.
By Robert M. Caruso
CEO fondalo, Inc.
www.facebook.com/robertcaruso
www.twitter.com/fondalo

No comments:

Post a Comment